Healthy Working for the New Year

So let me guess...your new year's resolution this year involved healthier living. Whether through exercise or diet, or what you will or will not do this year as compared to last - right?

Since we all spend a substantial amount of time at work, I ask you to start the year by thinking about healthier living while at work. This fits nicely with our HRO (high reliability organization) goal to have a safer environment for us, our associates and our patients. It also fits nicely with our goal to improve wellness (such as healthy choices through benefit selection and the wellness committee activities). 

Let me tell you about one of my initiatives - through our new relationship with 1776 I learned about a healthier desk that helps get you up and moving! The body is just not made to be in a sitting position for a prolonged period so this "treadmill desk" allows you to stand and slowly walk (0.5 to 2.0 MPH) as you work.  We placed one of these in the cardiovascular core laboratory to try it out.  In the attached pictures, you can see me reading echocardiograms (cardiac ultrasounds) and filling out the electronic case report form, as part of a multi-center trail on new heart valves.  

It's great!  This afternoon, I walked 7000 steps (3.5 miles based on my fitbit) as I got my work done!

So what will make your workplace safer and healthier?  Discuss this with your supervisor and management team. We want to hear your ideas.  I am committed to our MHRI associates to make this as healthy a work environment as possible and will look at any reasonable idea that is feasible. Remember, improving health, including our health, is part of our overall vision of "advancing health" at MedStar so lets start the new year out on the right foot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Betsey, Lucy, and Anarcha: Recognition and Remembrance" with MHRI

World Medical Innovation Forum 2018

MedStar Health's Upcoming Advertising Campaign!