Edler Lecture


Most of the time, I post things on this blog about things happening around MedStar but this time, I decided to share my experience last week at the American Society of Echocardiography. This professional society with more than 17,000 members (15-20% international) had their annual meeting last week in Seattle with almost 3000 attendees.

I was honored to give the Edler Lecture during the opening ceremonies. Dr. Inger Edler was the founder of echocardiography approximately 50 years ago. My lecture, "The Future of Echocardiography, Disrupter or Disrupted?" highlighted how far we have come in the last 50 years but also how we are at a vulnerable stage to be disrupted by others or be proactive and create our future through disruptive technologies. It was fun to pull on some of the literature on disruptive innovation, look at the latest and greatest technologies being developed and speculate on how they can be applied to echo.

While I have given many lectures in my life, speaking in front of so many people (many of whom in the audience I have learned from over the years and others who have become close personal friends) was a special joy. If I was able to stimulate just a few to think differently about our field and how they can contribute to its success, then I will consider the lecture a success.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Betsey, Lucy, and Anarcha: Recognition and Remembrance" with MHRI

World Medical Innovation Forum 2018

MedStar Health's Upcoming Advertising Campaign!